Pre-Operative Instructions for Oral Surgery with Intravenous Anesthesia/Sedation
- NO foods or liquids, including water, should be taken by mouth for at least 6 hours before your surgical appointment. The only exception to this is if you need to take prescribed medicines during this period. Do so at the time you are supposed to take these medicines with as little water as possible.
- Bring someone with you who can drive you home after your appointment. You cannot drive a vehicle until the next day. Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Take the "anti-swelling" medications in the manner explained to you at the time of your consultation, remembering to start the evening before your surgical appointment. (Disregard if these medications weren't prescribed.)
- Contact lenses should be removed prior to your surgical appointment.
- Wear comfortable loose-fitting clothing. Don't wear high-heeled shoes to your surgical appointment.
- Empty your bladder immediately prior to your appointment.
- In your own interest, you should cancel your appointment if you develop a cold, flu, or any other illness. You must cancel at least 24 hours in advance, or there will be a charge of $50 ($100, if you have a Saturday appointment.)
- Try to get a. good night's sleep the day before your appointment - it will be helpful in achieving a smooth recovery.
back to patient resources
Click here to request an appointment.